07 July 2013

Today's Library Loot, and the Amazing Effects of a Dazzling Book Spine

My nine-year-old daughter and I paid a visit to our local library this afternoon, to sign her up for the Summer Library Reading Program. I had also placed a few titles on hold athat were ready for pick-up. In addition to my three choices (LET THE SKY FALL by Shannon Messenger, REQUIEM by Lauren Oliver, and THE BRIDES OF ROLLROCK ISLAND by Margo Lanagan), we selected six books from the middle grade section for her as well. 


When choosing library books for my daughter, I am often attracted by a shiny metal sticker on the cover. Today, it was the Newbery medal on A YEAR DOWN YONDER by Richard Peck. I also picked two others that looked like good summer fun. My daughter selected THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF GIRLS by Francis O'Roark Dowell (who wouldn't want to sit barefoot in the grass with those girls on the cover?). Then, she practically dove across the aisle lunging for a book that looked particularly good (it even elicited an excited little gasp). She read the first page and plopped the book in our bag. Can you tell which spine won her enthusiastic attention?


Yep, it was RATTLED by Debra Galant. I'm sure book spines with pink and purple squares with curlicue lettering do not appeal to ALL nine-year-old girls, but it certainly hooked mine. 


I know readers judge books by their covers, but I hadn't fully realized how important a spine can be to the equation! 

What do YOU look for in a book spine design??

No comments:

Post a Comment