10 March 2015

Bookstore Love: Austin's BookPeople

NEW FEATURE! Today begins a new series on my blog: Bookstore Love! 

Do you recognize these shelves?
I was looking through my photographs recently and realized how many pictures I have taken in bookstores. My travel photos ALWAYS include scenes of at least one or two YA bookshelves. (Am I the only one who does this? Please confess in the comments if you do it, too!) 

So, why not share all that bookstore love on my blog? It is infinitely more interesting than talking about myself! 

I am particularly fond of tiny little stores that cram books into every possible nook and cranny, and rambling bookstores in oddly-shaped buildings. But what I love most are bookstores that hang review cards and staff recommendations from the shelves. Nobody does that better than BookPeople in Austin, Texas.

It's the lovely Teen Lit section at BookPeople! See all the little review tags
placed at eye level? (They were on a lower shelf in the middle grade section!) 
Yes, yes… I'll give you an up-close look at some of the tags! These photos were taken two years ago when my daughter and I went to Texas for spring break. Flipping through these photos now is like a walk down memory lane of my favorite books from 2013. Look at all the pretties!

Don't you just love the little mask on the Smoke & Bone review,
and the heart for Paper Valentine?
Oooh… three favorites in a row. 

And here's a close-up of the review for Amy McNamara's
gorgeous novel, LOVELY, DARK & DEEP. 
Spot any favorites? I could spend hours in this store, reading all the beautifully illustrated (and laminated!) reviews. I'm just looking for reasons to travel to Austin again so I can see what's on the shelves there now. Maybe someone will send me a photo? (Hint, hint.) 



I'll be posting more of my own bookstore love in the weeks ahead, and inviting some author friends to share theirs, too. But now, I must dash to my local indie to pick up a stack of books I ordered. (And take photos, of course. They're next up on Bookstore Love!)

No comments:

Post a Comment