16 October 2017

Bringing Vicurious to Life (IRL!)












During the process of writing How to Disappear, I spent a lot of time on Instagram checking the same hashtags that the main character, Vicky, explores in the novel. As Vicurious, she reaches out to followers who feel #invisbile and #ignored, who have #socialanxiety and #depression and just want to be #seen. 

To connect with readers and let them know they are #notalone, I decided to bring Vicurious to life by creating a real Instagram for her. Below is a visual of a few of the Vicurious posts I’ve created so far. It took a while to find my model, make a wig and put together the costume, do some photo shoots, and then learn Photoshop well enough to create some images of Vicurious living vicariously! So, I started with some text posts, like the one which references Vicky’s “Terror List.” Then I ventured into current events to throw her into some exciting events.  

Next up… I’d love to get readers more involved in the content, providing suggestions of places and events they want Vicurious to visit, and even their own photos. I’ll also use the Vicurious account to post fan art and graphics, and hopefully become a place where people with social anxiety can find their people and make new friends. 

Visit her @vicurious on Instagram!





1 comment:

  1. I just finished this book, and as a 59 year old woman, that may, or may not seem strange. But as someone who has suffered from social anxiety and many other fears all my life, it touched me more than you know. While I did not have quite as paralyzing fears as Vicky, I did not have a good school life, and mostly did as she did, blending in or hiding away as much as possible. Thank you for a wonderful read, I really couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete